Thursday, December 10, 2009

An essay...

Is it possible to be so anti-racist that you are racist?

I ask this question because of one of the teachers in my school is very anti racism. Which is good. But even if a joke is made to one of the...what's the current politically correct term? Foreign Nationals? I'll use that.

Even if a joke is made to the student, she'll go mental. She actually just goes insane. You get yelled at, screamed abuse and anything else. I've seen kids get detention for asking where another student is originally from.

Is it possible to be so anti racism, that you're accidentally racist to your own race? I mean, if a black joke is made, she'll go mental, but if a white joke is made, she ignores it.

Well, is it?

2 comments:

Susan at Stony River said...

Good Lord. I'd be in detention a lot; I ask everybody where they're from because I'm genuinely interested in other places and people: I can't afford to travel there myself, so... LOL

It sounds like (and it's just a hunch, but I've worked with a lot of people over the years) perhaps at some point she ran into some trouble over racist comments: perhaps she *didn't* stop them and someone complained. Usually when someone overreacts at work it's a matter of CYA gone mad (meaning, cover your ass).

Personally I don't think ignoring someone's ethnicity is a compliment; it would be nice if we could all acknowledge and like each other's differences, rather than have to choose between jokes or forced silence.

Interesting teacher!

Lauren said...

I know the teacher you speak of!!!