Sunday, November 29, 2009

Sixteen years...

Yeah, sixteen years old. I don't understand it, to be honest. This time sixteen years ago, my mother had given birth to a very quiet five pound baby, and was waiting for the doctor to tell her I was dead. I had an AGPAR score of 2, and my lungs weren't fully formed (I was born at thirty weeks). In short, they thought it was a matter of time, they didn't think that I would last sixteen hours, let alone sixteen years. And now I'm here, typing this out on the train coming from Tullamore.

I remember going to school, and my mam sobbing. She later confided in me it wasn't because she was sad, but because she honestly never thought I'd get the chance to put on the navy blue uniform and walk in the door.

This time ten years ago, my mother was lying in a hospital bed, cuddling a baby boy, my brother Thomas. Yep, I'm one of those unfortunates who shares a birthday with a sibling. I don't mind, we're really close.

The point is, I never thought that I would be at this point in my life. Yes, I'm facing an up hill battle with bulimia, but I'll take it. I'm lucky, I survived. So today, I'll go iceskating at my brother's party, and look after the little kids. Because I honestly can't wait, I've got my chance at life, it'd be stupid to leave it behind.

1 comment:

Susan at Stony River said...

I hope you had fun iceskating! Most of all I hope you had a wonderful birthday.

My son was born with an APGAR of one; every day feels like a miracle and I never forget how lucky I am to have him here with me.

You were meant to be, both of you! Who knows why, but maybe something great is just around the corner.