Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Belfast prices, and an essay on economics

Yes, an essay on economics. It's the last sane thing you'll get from me till Friday, so put up :D

I was in Belfast today with my mam, to do Christmas shopping and for a girl's day out. Mam thought I needed it, and she was right. I've been so worried since last friday, I've not been enjoying myself. I've been barely living, and that's no way to be.

So, when I was there, we went shopping in ASDA for some Christmas stuff. We spent £600, but would have spent almost €1000 down here. As for New Look...I got hair dye, two tops and a coat for £56...it should have cost €95.

I honestly understand why people go to NI now to do their shopping. With bargains like that, who can blame them? I've already told my parents that I'm only shopping in New Look in Belfast. With the savings I made, they don't blame me.

It's not just that, it's the bitty things. Make up that costs €13 down here costs half that. My favourite (€30) make up, costs only £17 there.

There's some stuff that the difference isn't that much in, but my mam and I reckon that we saved about €600. Which is NOT bad going, by anyone's standards.

1 comment:

Susan at Stony River said...

You forgot free bags.
44c each? Agh.

If our government had one working brain to share, they'd've come up with some idea of easing our pain, for instance slicing VAT down to something reasonable like 10% just for the Christmas holidays, and draw people *here* for a change, and let us do some economy-saving shopping at last. But everything's so bloody expensive, who can afford to stay here for shopping this year? I used to go to Enniskillen from necessity, because it's just too expensive here, but now I do it out of spite, because the government sucks. Not one stimulus plan in sight, and they're slashing social welfare!? Unbelievable.

So yes, LOL, enjoy Belfast! I'm glad you had a good girl's day out too; I would love that myself. Sometimes just getting out of town cures so much in the head, and what a perfect time of year this is to get depressed. I'm feeling it.

So how's the NaNoNovel coming??