Monday, February 22, 2010

Work Experience

I'm back on work experience! I'm doing it at Shrewsbury House, which is where my grandad was before he died. I really like it there, it may not be hugely luxurious, but the staff are amazing, and it's a caring place.

I'm doing it there, simply because grandad was there. And, honestly? It hasn't changed a bit. There's loads of photos of me and my siblings up, because we were three of the few children who visited regularly. Our Sunday routine was going for dinner, then up to the nursing home for our weekly visit. It was one of the parts I loved, because we got on with everyone.

My grandad was very close with my a woman called Mary. She is a lovely woman, who'd always look after my grandad. She did the laundry there, and in return lived there. She was brilliant, she really was.

Now she's pretty sick. She always had kidney trouble, but now it's worse. She was on dialysis three times a week, but it's been reduced to two times a week. She broke her hip last summer, and she's deaf in her left ear. And she has lung cancer.

She smoked like a chimney, but she was one of the most caring people I ever met. And she's refusing treatment, because of her age.

1 comment:

Susan at Stony River said...

Oh poor Mary. My grandmother broke her hip and after that simply gave in; she died not long after though nothing else seemed wrong with her (well, besides age of course, she was in her 80s)

It takes special people to take on nursing and caregiving jobs!